How to set up BitCoin mining with RPCminer on MacPosted: 2011-05-20
This article will explain how to configure the RPCminer on Mac OS that will turn your Mac’s idle CPU cycles into Bitcoins. It will walk you through every step from downloading the client application to connecting to a pooled mining server.
You will need the miner application that will run on your machine, as well as an account with a mining pool. The BMP pool will be used as an example throughout this article.
- Download the latest version of the RPCminer for Mac and move it to the /Applications folder
- Using a Web browser, register an account with Bitcoin Pooled Mining (BMP)
- Using a Web browser, add a new worker (machine) to your BMP account
Notice that the worker login is <account-username>.<worker-name>, for example user.machine.
RPCminer works on any version of Mac OS 10.6 ‘Snow Leopard’.
Setting up the miner
- Launch the miner by double-clicking on the RPCminer icon in the /Applications folder
- When asked, enter the hostname for your pool, mining.bitcoin.cz and press Enter
- When asked, enter the port number for your pool, 8332 and press Enter
- When asked, enter the miner’s name (user.machine, as explained above), and press Enter
- When asked, enter the miner’s password (not the account password), and press Enter
—and you’re done. You only need to set up the application once. The server and account information is stored in a settings file on your Mac. So double-clicking on the application icon again will be sufficient to get the miner going again.
Check back in on your account page at BMP to see how your machine(s) are doing and to manage payout settings.
Good luck with your mining!